Vietnamese cuisine is always so refreshing and flavoursome. I love this noodle salad as it’s quite simple and could be made with different ingredients. I’m using the leftover roast duck but feel free to exchange it for other type of cooked meat or roasted veggies (I’ve got to try this with roasted pumpkin, I wonder what it would be like!).
It’s light, looks pretty and doesn’t last long as it’s literally devoured in minutes ;P. I’m using a julienne peeler to thinly slice the carrot and the cucumber. If you don’t have one, no panic, just try to cut the carrot and the cucumber into thin strips with your knife, mind your fingers.
Glass noodles (also called ‘Bean Thread Noodles’) are available in Asian supermarkets and are made from mung bean starch. If you can’t get them feel free to use any other type of gluten-free noodles.
Makes: 2 portions
Prep time: 20 minutes
What you need,
- 2 portions of glass noodles
- 1 ripe avocado
- a small bowl of fresh watercress
- coriander and mint for garnish
- half a cucumber
- 1 carrot
- a handful of pine nuts
- small bowl of roasted duck
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of coconut aminos
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of water
- juice of 1 lime
- half a red chili pepper
What to do,
- Prepare the noodles. Put the noodles into a big pot and cover them with freshly boiled water. Let them soak, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- Julienne the carrot and the cucumber (or cut them with a knife into thin strips).
- Drain the noodles and put them aside.
- Fry the pine nuts for about 1 to 2 minutes (no oil required), so that they get a bit brownish and have a bit of crunch, watch out not to burn them. Put them aside.
- Peel and chop the avocado.
- Prepare the sauce, chop and de-seed half of the red chili pepper. Mix it with coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil, water and lime juice.
- Arrange your noodle salad. Divide everything into halves so that you have enough for two portions (including the sauce). Take a big bowl and place the noodles at the bottom, then chopped avocado, julienned carrot and cucumber, roast duck and garnish with washed watercress, mint, coriander and fried pine nuts.
- Pour half of the sauce over the noodle salad, admire your brilliance 😀